Re: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on November 16, 1999 at 18:22:08:

In Reply to: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Joe S. on November 16, 1999 at 03:00:50:

I think I'm pretty much with Joe S. on this one. We have what he calls a type 2 director and in this community it works a whole lot better than trying to have a competitive marching band would.

One of the biggest problems with a 'competitive' marching band is that band members usually cannot participate in fall sports. In our town, until the present director came seven or eight years ago, the band had dropped in size to less than 50 (high school of more than 2,000 students). In the old days, the band marched competitively. The present director eliminated virtually all marching (three local parades annually: memorial day, st. patricks day and homecoming; and marching to and from the band room to the stadium at home games, and onto the field in concert formation at half-time). Participation has soared to more than 150, and over 40 kids went to All-State auditions last week (we typically have 10+ make All-State). Over 25% of the band members also are on varsity, jv or freshman athletic teams and the director encourages athletic participation. As much as I didn't mind marching in high school and college band, I think the approach our director has taken has resulted in better musicianship, a good relationship with the coaches and the townspeople and has kept a higher caliber of student active in the music program.

Follow Ups: