Re: What tuba pitch?!?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark K. on November 17, 1999 at 12:09:30:

In Reply to: What tuba pitch?!? posted by Jesse-Horacio on November 16, 1999 at 21:39:05:

Jesse,
Let me share something with you regarding equipment. When I was in high school, I was on the golf team. It was in Wisconsin and Andy North (professional golfer also from WI) came to our school to give a clinic. I told him I was having a problem "driving" the ball. I told him I had a junior set of Northwestern golf clubs and that HAD to be my problem. Well, Mr. North offered no advice, but took my driver out of my bag. Andy North proceeded to hit a ball from the tee well over 300 yards, straight as an arrow. Needless to say, I was both amazed and in awe. Getting back to tubas, my school had a 3-valve King recording bell tuba that we dubbed "superdent". This thing was horrendous. I did a scholarship audition when I was a senior with that tuba at Lawrence University in Appleton, WI. (A music conservatory that turns out awesome musicians and very difficult to get into). I won that scholarship, to later turn it down for a spot in a US Marine Corps field band position. Moral of the story? 90% musician, 10% horn at the MOST....Mark K.

Follow Ups: