Re: Willson 5/4 CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on November 19, 1999 at 15:14:09:

In Reply to: Willson 5/4 CC posted by Bryan on November 19, 1999 at 15:00:26:

Hi Bryan,

I'm playing one at a concert this weekend - I don't own it, but I borrowed it from a good friend of mine. My reaction to it is that it's a really good horn; the low register has that unholy combination of resonance and bite that makes it carry really well in a large ensemble. Because it's a large horn, it can also take large quantities of air very well, but it also has a nice "small" response that gives the sound a little edge when you push it. My sole complaint is the mid register - low and high notes slot really well, but the mid register is a little more dicey. I've had the horn for a little under a week, and I've missed a WHOLE lot of notes between the 4th and 7th partials since then. It might get easier as you play it more, but I've found that those pitches are really hard to center - totally unlike it's little Eb brother (which I own and love). In the final analysis, I would say they do a good job of being big horns that play like small horns. They also aren't quite as expensive as some of the big tubas out there (Yorkbrunner and Nirschl). I would recommend it, but with reservations - play a few and see if they're your cup of tea.

Daryl

Follow Ups: