Re: A Couple of questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on November 20, 1999 at 03:13:35:

In Reply to: A Couple of questions posted by Andy on November 19, 1999 at 14:58:29:

I sure look forward to seeing all the possible answers to this one. Probably one of those "no two are exactly alike" things. I like to focus on the three areas which I need to actually warm up. Chops, lungs, brain. Getting the blood happening in the chops doesn't take all that much time, or effort for that matter. Air is equally a quick ready, some good deep breathing and expansion work ought to about cover it. As for the brain, herein lies the main task. If you warm up the physical (chops & lungs) with little regard to the brain, you may find it takes a long time to get 'ready' for serious playing. If you approach the warm up as just getting things loose and ready for practice and approach the scales, flexibilities, etudes etc. with the same passion as solos, exerpts, and performances, I think you will find 5-10 minutes enough. I personally like to get a good 45 minutes of practice in (I'm talking full body commitment here) prior to rehearsals and performances.

Follow Ups: