Re: Rudy Meinl`s

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on November 27, 1999 at 01:22:31:

In Reply to: Rudy Meinl`s posted by Steve on November 27, 1999 at 00:02:50:

The Rudy's are good instruments. I play a 4/4 one myself. But, there are two drawbacks to them:

1. Pitch! Almost every note is a little strange. You get used to the little things, but there are usually some big problems as well. My horn it's the G at the top of the staff, and anything south of a low f. I have to move the fourth valve slide a lot to play in tune in the basement. I'm not saying it can't be done...it just depends on how much you want to do it.

2. When was the last time you heard of someone getting a job in the US on a Rudy? (Oh, I can hear all the Rudy fans now.) The sound that a Rudy has is great! But, it doesn't always sound as good by itself. These instruments project like mad, and have a great blend with trombones, but by themselves, that sound that is so good out in a hall doesn't have the same effect. There are other instruments on the market that can keep a great sound when pushed hard. Rudy's are too easy to push...this works great with a bass trombone player next to you, but not by itself on a stage.

My big delema is that I haven't found that horn that I think is so much better than eveything else. Some of the instruments that have a great "sit on stage and play excerpts" sound don't have a color that is as interesting to me. I think the Rudy would be a big advantage if I had a bigger horn that was a totally different sound. I'm not sure.

I like my Rudy. I've had it for a long time, and it has served me well. I'm not going to get rid of it, but I am going to keep looking for a sound that is a good contrast.

My late night thoughts!

mike

Follow Ups: