Re: Re: does anybody happen to know?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on November 04, 2000 at 01:32:51:

In Reply to: Re: does anybody happen to know? posted by Jon Brady on November 03, 2000 at 08:55:18:

' music "in general", yes.

' oboe specifically, no.

For example, sometimes even well qualified oboe teachers become confused as to whether a student's reed is going bad or if the instrument is out of adjustment.

The successful pursuit of oboe performance is a different world, and musicality is tied in extremely intimately with equipment - the most critical part of which begins deteriorating within the first hour of its creation (the reed). Better that a youngster play the flute and take up the oboe later (when proper guidance might be available) than to stumble around in the dark with someone trying to help who knows very little about what the student should be trying to do.

I would almost equate oboe "self-teaching" or "band director teaching" to someone trying to "teach themselves" to play the uillean pipes (exotic and very complicated style of bagpipes) or I might equate it to asking a penny whistle player to teach the uillean pipes..."After all, they are both celtic woodwind instruments." (etc).

Too many words in my post, but all to respectfully disagree than a non-oboe-playing band director could successfully teach oboe technique without private instruction to reinforce...

...these statements after expending $erious money on an oboist's musical education, and also as a brass and woodwinds music store owner observing the progress of young oboists for over 21 years.

Follow Ups: