Re: Re: searching for a 6/4 tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubalew on November 05, 2000 at 08:30:49:

In Reply to: Re: searching for a 6/4 tuba posted by Dale Phelps on November 05, 2000 at 02:25:18:

Dale makes some good suggestions, a local college would be a good source for information. Regarding your question about switching to CC, whether to do that or not depends on the type of playing you intend to do. If you want to play in a community band and related groups I would suggest sticking with a BBb. Most of the music you will see will have been written with a BBb horn in mind anyway.

As for a horn to buy, you don't say why you want of 6/4 sized horn, but there are a few which fit this description among BBb horns. The Miraphone 191 has a large bore and bell and a big sound, but is a short model horn (not that that's bad) so I wouldn't really consider it a 6/4. Cervany makes a model 601 in BBb (701 in rose brass) which is as big as almost any large CC. If you can find one, the old Conn 2XJ series horns are huge and have a huge sound. However, 4 valve versions of these with upright bells are very difficult to find. I just saw a 21J, 3 valve, for sale at Dillon Music which is huge, with a 24" upright bell. VMI and Menl-Weston also make large BBbs which are excellent horns.

I would suggest that if you could find a good used horn you will get much more value for your money than with a new horn, assuming that the horn hasn't been abused. I recently saw a used VMI 3302 which was in like new condition which sold for $1500 less than the new price. Call some of the top dealers and talk to them about both new and used horns. (check Sean's links for some places to look)

Follow Ups: