Re: Re: Very Flat When Dbling Euph

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on November 05, 2000 at 23:51:03:

In Reply to: Re: Very Flat When Dbling Euph posted by More Detail on November 04, 2000 at 13:03:12:

I think tone quality is relative. A Willson Euph, will get a dark sound with a 12c in it! Perhaps your perception of "bright" sound is influenced by the fact that you are mainly a tuba player. Keep in mind what a characteristic sound is for a Euph. A 1G is a HUGE mouthpiece for a euphonium. Maybe Brian Bowman or some other full time performing euphonium player and handle one, but they are not the norm. A 61/2 may be on the small side but as is suggested elsewhere in this string, something in the Bach 3-4 range may be helpful and will still give you a very full "dark" EUPHONIUM tone quality. I am a doubler (tripler?) on tuba, trombone(mostly bass, but some tenor also) and euph. I think many people are into "big equipment" almost to the detriment of the characteristic tone quality of said instrument. It seems trombone players keep going to bigger equipment and end up sounding like slide euphoniums and euphonium players want to get bigger and start sounding like small tubas. Keep in mind what instrument is being played and what it is supposed to sound like.
ken "remember what horn you are playing" k

Follow Ups: