Re: Meinl Weston tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on November 06, 2000 at 06:00:57:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston tuba posted by Charles on November 06, 2000 at 01:41:43:

I have Meinl Weston 32 that I purchased from Dillon Music not long ago. When I play tested against the other horns Matt Walters had in store at the time, I found that against the Conn52J, Yamaha 822CC, and Miraphone 186 the MW projected better out front and I personnally liked the sound better. Matt and I took turns listening to each other and comparing. The sound was dark and focused and didn't break up when pushed to louder dynamic levels. It is a versatile horn and I have used it in small and large ensembles. One thing to check is the over all pitch of the instrument. I found that my horn played sharp and I was pulling the tuning slide almost all the way out. I use a Monette 94 and a Geib 3 mouthpiece which didn't help in bringing up the pitch, but I still should not have to pull the slide until it's about to fall off. Matt did fix the problem by customizing a longer tuning slide for me. Matt also said he contacted the Meinl folks in Germany about the tuning slide length and I believe they have fixed the problem. It is a solid tuba which I highly recommend. I know that both Sam Pilafian and Warren Deck used this tuba at the NY Phil audition back in the late 70's. I would also be interested in hearing what other people have experienced with this tuba.

Ken

Follow Ups: