Re: Re: Re: the Endsley Component Mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on November 07, 2000 at 15:29:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: the Endsley Component Mouthpiece posted by Mike on November 07, 2000 at 11:39:22:

Gerry Endsley is still around and, as far as I know, still turning out brass tidbits. I believe the deal with the component mouthpiece is that he takes a mouthpiece of your choice and machines it to receive a custom rim and shank. Since his is a small operation, he'll work with you to get what you need. But I've found he's also hard to contact.

The adjustable cup mouthpiece suffers from a basic problem shared by all ACM's. To get an adjustable cup depth, a piston essentially is made to move within a closely machined cylinder. The problem is that a straight-walled cylindrical shape is not the one you'd normally pick for a mouthpiece and problems associated with this shape get worse the deeper you have the cup set.

Essentially, the ACM will have at most, one spot where it sounds good. Given that, what's the point (aside from having an interesting toy). Not that I'm averse to having interesting toys...

Follow Ups: