Re: Re: Re: Why DO pros use different instruments?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on November 08, 2000 at 17:28:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Why DO pros use different instruments? posted by John Szkutko on November 08, 2000 at 01:11:36:

With all due respect, yes and no.
I too have found that my range on BBb, CC, Eb and F horns is just about the same, and you are absolutely right that it is a function of the player and not the instrument.
The function of the instrument, and this is where they differ, is where the notes sit in the range of the horn. A Bb on top of the staff is a nice note, and although we can play much higher, it is still a "high note" on the bass tubas, lending it a brighter more cutting tone, while on the Eb and F horns it sits in the upper middle register with a slightly fuller tone.
Someone mentioned in another thread that a tuba at the top of its register (not the player's range which may be extended indefinately, but the instruments register) will sound brighter and cut through a dozen trumpets in their lower-middle register, thereby throwing the balance out of whack. If a tubist needs to blend better on higher parts, he is better off with a higher pitched instrument. If the intent of the composer was for the tuba to really stick out up there, the the bass tuba is probably better suited.
I haven't read further through this thread yet, I hope I haven't simply repeated and muddled what someone has said more clearly already, but that's my $.02 anyways.
MF

Follow Ups: