Re: starting a new student

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on November 08, 2000 at 18:39:40:

In Reply to: starting a new student posted by Matt Green on November 08, 2000 at 13:46:24:

Hi Matt,
Don't get into any etudes and the like yet...Way too early. Stress basics and reading (and fun as menitoned above - or below which ever it is on this crazy BBS)! By basics I mean ear development exercises, use scales, lip-ups (lip slurs only not slurred at first) to develop note placement and play simple songs. I like the Ed Sueta Band method. It is a band method but does a good job of drilling rhtyhm reading and learning scales, especially book 2. The jump from book 2 to 3 is a bit hard but lots of classical melodies and neat songs in book 3.

Don't expect to get some prodigy here. I have gotten more than one student who has been heralded as the next Roger Bobo. Their former teachers had them in Rubank Advanced books, etc but they could play a simple little song correctly. Teach the student to read. He probably is not that far along yet if he is only in 6th grade. After all he is only about 12 years old. Get book 1 & 2 of the above set and see where the kid is at. If he is beyond that all the better. But make sure he can read and understands the basis of rhythmic reading.

As for the Rubank elementary method it is way to old fashioned. half the songs in it I haven't even heard of! The intermediate book has no logical sequence to it. I love the Advanced books. They are sort of like Arban's lite. but he probably is not ready for that yet. I usually get a kid into those after the above mentioned books.

Perhaps some solo books would be good, like the Canadian Brass solo books (they come with CDs) and the "First Solos for the Tuba Player" by Herbert Wekselblatt (always loved that name for a tuba player!)

BTW, I teach elementary band every day and have a private studio of about 15 students (depending on the week it seems!), so I have used these books with dozens of students over the years with good success.

Again make it fun. Tape some tuba players for him to listen to such as Sam Pilafian or Patrick Sheridan or if you like jazz let him hear some Howard Johnson or Dixieland. Let him know what is out there for tuba players!

If you have any other questions feel free to email me privately.

Enjoy and good luck, ken k

Follow Ups: