Re: starting a new student

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on November 08, 2000 at 21:53:32:

In Reply to: starting a new student posted by Matt Green on November 08, 2000 at 13:46:24:

Another book not mentioned that I have used on a couple of students is the First Book Of Practical Studies. It ain't Arban or Bordogni, but it starts out pretty easy (half & 1/4 notes in the mid-range) and with short (12-32 bar) etudes, but progresses to a level that would make just about any other 6th grader jealous. In my somewhat limited experience, the younger kids seem to react better when they can play an etude from top to bottom without too many miscues. That whole self-esteem/accomplishment thing. That's not to say that you shouldn't challenge them occasionally as well. Make 'em work a little at first, then ramp up the degree of difficulty. Get the work ethic established early, then draw upon it. I also agree with Ken, who said (sic) that the kids need to learn how to read the musical language.

Pay attention: you don't want to miss the kid's first "AHA" experience. That's when it'll really start coming together if you play off of it. (No pun intended)

Steve

Follow Ups: