Re: Mancini Institute

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Sutherland on November 09, 2000 at 01:21:24:

In Reply to: Mancini Institute posted by Joey on November 08, 2000 at 23:41:17:

Joey-
The Mancini Institute is a wonderful program and a refreshingly different experience compared to most summer music festivals. You do not need to be a jazz player, but your experience will be greatly enhanced if you are. I was a part of the program in 1999, the 2nd year of the program I believe. You will recieve four lessons from a wonderful teacher, Jim Self, but don't expect to work on anything but improvisation. You will work with some incredible jazzers, my year we had Christian McBride and Ernie Watts, amongst others. Don't expect much from the orchestra, though I heard that it is getting better every year. You will be a part of a quintet that will play some pretty minor gigs around town.
I had a great time with the Mancini Institute, particularly with the guest composers. The two that really stood out were Jerry Goldsmith and Alf Clausen. We played and performed a suite from First Knight and Twilight Zone with Goldsmith conducting. Alf Clausen brought in about 50 cues from the Simpsons, which we read down one afternoon. That was by far the best day. Clausen was wonderful and I got more out of that than anything else.
Overall, you'll have a great time. If you are not a jazzer, you may get bored. But if you have an interest in jazz, particularly if you double on a standard combo instrument (I played piano in one combo), than it's definitely a great learning experience. Email me if you have any questions.

Scott

Follow Ups: