Re: Mom needs help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 09, 2000 at 13:36:31:

In Reply to: Mom needs help! posted by Jane on November 08, 2000 at 22:46:48:

My advice is going to differ a bit from the good, conventional wisdom offered below. I don't think the critical question is what kind of playing does your kid wants to do. He doesn't have enough experience to know what kind of playing he likes yet.

The real question is this: Does this kid's teacher (as in, private instructor) believe he is good enough to become a professional musician, and does your kid have the drive and desire to pursue that line of work? Both talent and total commitment are absolutely essential to success. It ain't easy to do, but if the answer is yes, then get him a CC and invest in a good horn.

But a CC tuba will force him to learn fingerings all over again, and if he has no professional aspirations (or prospects), then I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Most non-professional players in community bands and the like play on BBb instruments.

At the highest levels, CC instruments are better, but you should not spend that much at this stage in his development. Limit yourselves to $3000-4000. In that range, you can get really good instruments used that will hold their value well, both in BBb and CC.

Unless you live in England, Eb and F horns are specialty instruments that most players would reserve for a second instrument.

If your son does not have a private instructor, then put the money into lessons. You can borrow a horn from the school, but you can't borrow a symphony pro to get lessons. A good teacher will give you advice on a new horn that is better than what you'll get for free here. And your son will value those lessons in future years, or, more accurately, he will regret not having had them when he's trying to undo all those bad habits.

Rick "regrets not having lessons in high school" Denney

Follow Ups: