Re: Larger mouthpiece extend low-end range??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 10, 2000 at 14:34:12:

In Reply to: Larger mouthpiece extend low-end range?? posted by Harvey on November 10, 2000 at 14:16:31:

Neither beginner nor expert here. The weight of the mouthpiece probably has no effect on your low range. Most folks want a heavy mouthpiece to change the overtones in their sound, not to affect their range.

I find that a larger mouthpiece (not heavier, just bigger) does improve my low range, but at the expense of security in the high range. I have a Tuba Exchange Rose, which is a very large Helleberg. It really moves earth below your low G, but the upper range is scary at best. I can't even make those notes with a small mouthpiece, such as a Conn 7B or (moreso) a Schilke 66. For my Miraphone, I've ended up with a Parantucci PT-48, which is a little more cup-shaped and fairly large. The size opens up the low register, and the cup shape seems to bring the high range security back a bit, but that may be my imagination. The cup shape also gives the sound a bit more character (read: overtones), which mates well with the bright-sounding Miraphone, for times when I want to be a dominant voice in the ensemble (such as in a polka band, or even an orchestra for some works).

Note that size can be measured in several ways: Rim diameter, volume (depth), and throat diameter. I can't tell which is the important parameter in my own tests.

Of course, I'm willing to concede that I'm trying to fix a problem with my abilities using equipment. But we all look for the tool that makes the job easiest.

Rick "darker is not always better" Denney

Follow Ups: