Must-have recording!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John R. on November 12, 2000 at 16:25:52:

I just picked up a recording on a lark...actually my wife found it during a stop to Circuit City to look for a vacuum cleaner, which they no longer carry, because they have gone all stereo/computer...It's NOT where I usually buy my CD's!!

At $3.99 it was worth the risk..."Music of the Gods: The Essential Wagner" The first 4 cuts are with the London Symphoy Orchestra with Adrian Leaper conducting. They play Tannhauser Ovt., the Ride, Siegfied Idyl (of course sans, tuba) and prelude to Meistersinger. All very fine sounds in the tuba and orchestra.

THEN, the last tracks include some very historic recordings under Hans Knappertbusch (an assistant to Wagner himself, evidently) with Berliner Philarmoniker (1928 recording) of more stuff from Meistersinger, and then "best" a 1942 Wiener Philarmoniker of Sigfried's Rhinefahrt and Siegfieds' Funeral March. These old recordings have been enhanced for this recording and the tuba really is quite prominent and "honest" as is all the playing--not always "in-tune" but very honest and fun to listen to!

I would have never purchased this on my own--but with my wife's keen eye and the great price, I am really glad I did and would recommend it all who wouldn't mind adding one more Wagner recording to their already very full Wagner library!

Fine Clasics, Trenton NJ
Listing 4426-2

Follow Ups: