Re: History engraved on you horn!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on November 17, 2000 at 16:21:35:

In Reply to: History engraved on you horn! posted by Dale Hale on November 17, 2000 at 01:34:01:

I want to weigh in on this one. First, let me tell you I've never had an expensive instrument. Even the good instruments I've had were beat up and ugly. So I acknowledge that it's hard for me to relate to having a pristine $10,000 tuba and getting my name scratched into it. That said, I once came across a Civil-War-era snare drum that was for sale. The owner had inscribed his name and military unit on the side of the drum, and then a list of places they had been. After the war, he apparently used the drum in a couple of other bands, including some very good ones, and eventually sold the drum. It changed hands a couple of more times after that. All along the way, the names of the players, the bands, and the cities they had played in were inscribed. Eventually the drum was covered with this information.

The seller of the drum had done some research, and found pictures of some of the bands, and there was the drum in front of all these players! Thing is, I don't think it hurt the way the drum played at all, and it made it an historical treasure -- even though it was never owned by ANYONE you ever heard of.

My vote? ENGRAVE 'EM ALL!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Joe "Wondering how the heck Rick Denney has so many hobbies and still has time and money enough for a wife?" Baker

Follow Ups: