Re: Speaking of military bands.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on November 18, 2000 at 15:16:53:

In Reply to: Speaking of military bands....... posted by Winton on November 18, 2000 at 14:56:54:

Hey Winton, I think the perception is that teh Aif Force has the highest quality bands because they have such tough requirements to pass the initial audition. I think they are looking mostly for people wiht some college experience, and degrees are preferable. The other services are a bit less picky at enlistment time, but may offer bonuses, college loan repayment, and quicker promotion to those with college degrees. Personally, I tink being in the service before school was the right thing for me, but others are glad they went to college first.
Check out all the Services (and the Natl Gaurd) before you decide, each one has their merits and possible downsides too. And like they're all saying alittle further down, DON'T BELIEVE THE RECRUITER! Make sure you get all promises in writing, and ask to talk to someone in the Band! The recruiter can set up a meeting for you at the nearest (may still be far away) base where a band is stationed. It is worth the drive and a night's stay to go visit the band and speak to someone who is in charge there. There will be happy to talk to you if you dress nicely and address them as sir. (This was covered in a thread about audition ediquette.)
oops, I rambled. Hope it helped a little anyway.
MF

Follow Ups: