Re: Re: Re: Re: Low Brass Ensemble - how to start one.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on November 21, 2000 at 00:38:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Low Brass Ensemble - how to start one. posted by Beau on November 20, 2000 at 09:51:34:

This is not a phrase I coined, just one which clearly describes so many of the once a week warriers who's only musical outlet is the community band (pay the fee and your in). I would like to see more community bands and feel they serve a great purpose. By nature, they are not highly selective as to membership, nor should they be. This is an outlet for the hundreds of players who, after high school or college, want a place to play. Not all players in a community band are "community band types". There are many amature bands, brass bands, wind ensembles, and orchestras whose selection process is more stringent than typical community bands. These players are 'generally' more passionate about their playing, often spend hours practicing, and many if not most play in community bands as well. The "community band types" are the ones whos practice is mostly reserved for rehearsals, did not receive formal training, yet enjoy being in an organized musical organization. In regards to the use of the label and how it relates to the original post, I make no apologies. You may indeed be in a community band with few "community band types", but that does not mean they do not exist.

Follow Ups: