Re: Cerveny Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on November 21, 2000 at 21:38:06:

In Reply to: Cerveny Euphonium posted by Kenny Jay on November 21, 2000 at 19:29:40:

I would check out the VMI euph. I have played two, the first one played sharp in the high register, but the one I played today had no major problems, it was quite nice, and VERY affordable. ($1000 lacquer, $1200 silver)

I have never played that model of Cerveny, as I'm sure few of us in the states have. I have played the Model 531-4mr, and I found it to be a clean, responsive instrument with surprisingly great intonation. It had a nice, light sound, but it was a little awkward to hold. If you want an rotary euph, I might suggest trying the Cerveny upright model. Call Charlie at Brookmays and ask him about the famous Euphonium player that played the oval euph. I was glad to hear that one of the biggest names in the instruments history found the horn to be as appealing as I did.

If you are going to spend the money to buy the Willson, you might be better off getting a used compensating horn for that much money.

Follow Ups: