Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kraft- Encounters2 !

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Norman Pearson on November 25, 2000 at 04:08:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kraft- Encounters2 ! posted by Steve Marcus on November 24, 2000 at 23:07:21:

I think this is a silly. I know several trumpet, trombone and tuba players who have a great command of double pedals. Other than specialized pieces I’m not sure of their musical worth. However, just because you personally cannot play these notes it is presumptuous to assume they are impossible for others also. I have heard Roger perform this piece many times. The first time was for a Masterclass at Tommy Johnson’s house in 1978 and I can assure you that he not only plays the note but it comes out very clear and strong. As for his teaching, we spent most of our time working on musical concepts not trying to figure out how to play a low ZZZ flat.

I performed as second tuba for Roger on hundreds of concerts His performances on stage were always first rate and he always strives to serve the music first. He taught me that the music IS the reason we were out there.

I had the opportunity to heard him warm up in the brass room before each service. His warm up sessions were the some of the most humbling experiences in my life. If you only hear his solo recordings you really have no idea of his true technical prowess. His absolute and total control of the tuba (in ALL ranges) is phenomenal.

Sorry to rant but I hate to see peoples integrity and reputations trashed by those who have no clue.

Follow Ups: