Re: Tuba survival kit?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 27, 2000 at 14:23:42:

In Reply to: Tuba survival kit? posted by Joe S. No. 2 on November 23, 2000 at 15:26:22:

The best survival kit first comprises a well-maintained horn. I replaced the S-linkages in my horn with ball-and-socket linkages almost immediately to avoid the problem you encountered, though even those should last a long time with occasional cleaning and lubrication.

The only spare parts I carry with any of my horns is a set of valve guides for my Yamaha, partly because they are plastic and subject to wear, but mostly because I won't lose them if they are in the case with the horn. If I was to carry tools, I'd bring a pair of smooth-jaw pliers, a small rawhide mallet, lubricants, any screwdrivers or wrenches required on the horn, and lubricants. With a scredriver and a mallet, I can remove and replace rotary valves (not difficult, but you have to know how), and I can even loosen a stuck piston valve cap (using the mallet). The pliers are there for fiddling with springs.

Most other faults, such as a stuck slide or mouthpiece, are best left for shop repair rather than field repair.

Rick "prefers maintenance to repair" Denney

Follow Ups: