Re: Re: Model Number?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lesley on November 01, 2001 at 22:23:48:

In Reply to: Re: Model Number? posted by Rob P-M on November 01, 2001 at 21:57:12:

In response to your questions (and in unending gratitude for your help!)

***Does the tuba have an upright bell or a forward facing ("recording") bell?
Recording bell, with three screws that fix it in place. Next to each of the screws, there's a number 80, with a different letter after each one. It seems to correspond to the same number-and-letter combination on the bell, I've been assuming it's there to line it up, but who knows?

***What is it's overall size: very small, 'average' or really big?
As an oboist, they're all huge to me!!! But I would have to say it's average
Have you ever heard the song by They Might Be Giants "She's Actual Size, But She Seems Much Bigger To Me"?

***What is the diameter of the bell?
It's 2 feet across, exactly

***Are the valves upright (top action) or are the front action?
Front action

***Are there three or four valves?
Three

***Do you know what key the tuba is in? likely possibilities are Eb or BBb, although there were some CC tubas.
I'm pretty sure it's BBb, if that means open it hits notes in the concert Bb overtone series. If not, it's in whatever key that means it hits notes in the concert Bb overtone series with no valves pushed.

Unfortunately, I cannot get a picture up.

There are rings on the bottom curve and on the top to the left on the back of the horn, I'm assuming they're for attaching some type of harness or straps...

And, once again, it's silver plate with engraving only on the bell, but covering the entire top half of the bell

Thank you so much for the help!

Follow Ups: