Re: Second-guessing myself...(long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd in OK on November 02, 2001 at 00:30:03:

In Reply to: Second-guessing myself...(long) posted by Ted on November 01, 2001 at 23:33:25:

Stop worrying about where you are and PRACTICE. Practice high, practice low. Practice soft playing. Practice excerpts. Get every method book you can and read them. Read trombone method books down an octave. Try a cello concerto for a change-of-pace. Your undergraduate experience is the time to become "fluent" in the language of playing your instrument. Work on scales, arpeggios, patterns, attacks, little stuff that most players forget about. Spend an hour sometime just on soft attacks in the low register. All that stuff will prepare you for the career on which you are embarking. You don't need a great teacher to do that for you - just motivation. And don't forget to be musical in everything you do. If you play in ensembles and have an incredibly boring part (I think we've all been there...), use that time to think about tone quality, musicality, response, etc. Make every second of face time count! Best of luck to you - it's a tough business you're getting into.

Follow Ups: