Re: Music Programs and Tuba Schools in Texas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by UNT! on November 02, 2001 at 18:56:52:

In Reply to: Music Programs and Tuba Schools in Texas posted by James Rees on November 01, 2001 at 14:32:18:

I am shocked and amazed that this thread hasn't promoted the University of North Texas more than it has. Folks... UNT is, without a doubt, one of the top three schools of music in the country. If you are an aspiring undergraduate tubist living in Texas, UNT would be the OBVIOUS choice. Don Little is a good teacher with outstanding students. The best thing a young musician can do for his/her career is surround themselves with great musicians and ensembles. Can you think of a school that can do that better than UNT?!?!?! Probably not. There are so many young players out there that think "THE" teacher is the only reason to look at a school. I went to a fine music school and studied with a fine teacher.... that experience was great. What was even greater was working with dozens of incredibly gifted musicians in large ensembles, chamber groups, and simply getting together to play duets, trios, etc. Not just other tubists, but trumpets, clarinets, flutes, horns, cellos... you name it. My growth as a musician had just as much to do with those experiences as it did working with my teacher. I encourage all high schoolers looking for a school to consider the BIG picture. After all, isn't developing yourself as a well-rounded musician the ultimate goal? I think so. As your overall musicianship improves, so will your orchestral playing... or whatever it is you aspire to do.

Follow Ups: