Re: All I want for Christmas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on November 06, 2001 at 10:05:54:

In Reply to: All I want for Christmas posted by Allan on November 05, 2001 at 22:21:33:

I own a 1920 Holton Eb and I would say it is a bit fussy. When I pay attention it sounds great. If I get lazy the horn lets me know it and my sound goes to pot. This horn is much less forgiving than the BBb I play. I find my low end is best when I am very relaxed and my throat wide open. Then the low Bb comes out great and my lips want to go lower, the horn wants to go lower, but its only got 3 valves (that may change soon - any shop recomendations?). Better pedals than my BBb. It could be my playing BBb (4 valve) makes the low end easier. Maybe try buzzing off the horn playing scales past what the horn will let you. For what it's worth, here's my mouthpiece experiences: Bach 24AW - very flat, low end OK but tone is airy and unfocused. Bach 18 - better, but still airy and unfocused. Bach 25 (old choice) - bright clean tone, even down low, pedals pop. Just switched to an ME3 - similar sound to the 25 but better intonation and a wider more comfortable cup, pedals not as good as the 25, but better than the others, I'm still adjusting to the switch though. Good luck.

Follow Ups: