Re: Vaughn Williams Concerto Information..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on November 08, 2001 at 16:51:26:

In Reply to: Vaughn Williams Concerto Information.. posted by Joe Accuardi on November 06, 2001 at 16:37:36:

I performed it at the Carnegie Institute of Technology with Phil Catelinet accompanying me on the piano in March 1957. That may be among the first performances of it in USA and perhaps the only one with Phil playing the piano. During the subsequent years we played at many times in the Pittsburgh area and once in New York City in 1964. After our 1957 performance the CIT music department head and the trustees of CIT were so impressed with Phil's piano playing that they hired him as assistant professor of music the next week!

The local piano professors couldn't believe what they heard coming from the huge 17 foot grand piano Phil played with the lid open all the way. I wanted him to close the lid but he said that any time he played it the orchestra played too loud and I should get used to it because it is not too likely that any orchestra would ever play soft when accompaning a tuba!

Follow Ups: