Re: Laskey 30H vs. Schilke HB II

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on November 09, 2001 at 22:04:38:

In Reply to: Laskey 30H vs. Schilke HB II posted by GC on November 09, 2001 at 17:04:07:

They are very similiar. Both were designed by Scott Laskey. The 30H is a Helleberg which he evolved through some more tweaking. I have used both on my Yorkbrunner and prefer the Shilke Helleberg II. It seems to have a crisper sound to my ears. The 30H might be slightly easier for me to play on because it is a little bit larger in feel, but the clearity and consistancy is not as good for me.

I keep jumping back and forth between my PT-88 and Helleberg II because the PT-88 feels better and sounds "better" behind the horn. When I tape myself or ask my wife to listen, the Helleberg II always seems to win. My endurance isn't as good on the HII, but that will improve as I again become accustommed to it.

I played the HII when I had my HB-21. I stitched to the PT-88 at my teachers advising and it did seem to help out certain aspects of that horn. With the Yorkbrunner, the PT-88 sounds sloppier than the smaller HII. I still haven't found a mouthpiece which balances well between comfort and product.

I used the 30H for a few weeks but switched back to the PT-88 because the improvement of the 30H over the PT-88, for me, was not enough to justify the discomfort it caused me. I also use a PT-88 at work for all of my Suckaphone playing and it was simpler to use the same mouthpiece in both places.

I have thought about selling the 30H, but like my HII which sat on the shelf for 3 or 4 years unused, I may come back to it some day and "rediscover" it to be just right for me at that time.

sean

Follow Ups: