Re: Re: Re: Bruckner 8

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Miller on November 10, 2001 at 21:50:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bruckner 8 posted by Richard on November 10, 2001 at 14:01:43:

This is by far my favorite recording as an audience member! The balance and blend of the entire orchestra is first rate (very intelligent brass playing); Wand's interpretation of Bruckner is always my favorite...never rushed; the tympani solos in the 4th movement are crystal clear and perfect volume; and you can't beat the 9-second reverb in that cathedral!!! Holy smokes! That is so cool! Gives it that real Bruckner-organ quality. I didn't know this was Walter, either. But then again, I didn't even have a clue as to who it could have been. A couple of times, the tuba enters just a "hair" before the ensemble...the sound created by this "jumping of the gun" is absolutely amazing! What a dark growl!

My ONLY problem with this recording is that it truly leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth...one of the trumpets is horribly flat at the end of the work. It's such a shame. The interpretation of this section is heavenly at best, and then this flat, whiney trumpet smacks you back down to Earth...real fast!

Just as a tangent...Bruckner 8 was my first concert by the CSO back in '89 when I was a freshman at DePaul. I had bought a student series because of another concert and the Bruckner was part of the series...I had never heard of him and had no idea what I was getting myself into. Needless to say, my life has never been the same since!

Follow Ups: