Re: Re: Re: Re: Tenor tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tracy B. on November 12, 2001 at 12:42:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tenor tuba ? posted by Klaus on November 11, 2001 at 15:24:18:

Congratulations. You've exposed me. Neither I, or anyone I know was alive during the time when Holst wrote the Planets, so I can't be EXACTLY sure what kind of instrument he had in mind for the tenor tuba part. What I can do theorize that he most likely used a British made instrument and this narrows it down a little. You sound to be more of an expert than I am about British brass. In fact you wrote: "But at no single moment, that is until your posting, have I met any clue, that the instrument, that Holst wrote his Planets' tenortuba part for should be another one than the euphonium of his time" is the same idea I was trying express in my original post. The idea that the instrument might have been closer to the Sovereign is just semantics. I have been trying learn as much as possible about early tubas and it has become a nice hobby of mine. Any information you could provide me with about tuba ancestry would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tracy Bedgood

Follow Ups: