Practicing Highnotes with a Trumpet MP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tracy H. on November 13, 2001 at 22:22:51:

fraternizing with the enemy, I know but hey.....(lol)

I recently had a little fight with the high notes at a try-out and ended up getting bruised and battered pretty badly (ahem...), so I went home and picked up my trumpet in effort to escape my defeat. It's pretty boosting to realize that all the hard work from learning CC tuba pays off in that now I can play trumpet by just reading my music, same fingers and all. So, dilly-dallying around, I remembered when I tried to teach some trumpets to play tuba ( I TRIED to save them...) and all they could seem to get was ridiculously high notes. I had to work and work to get them to a mid Bb, let alone a mid F. So my idea ran and I started buzzing for a little but then turned in when the clock struck 12(AM) to get some zzzz's. The next day at school I pick up my horn and decided to compare my Conn MP to my AWI and played through a high passage that normally I've been squeaking. What-da-ya-know. It's like I had brought it down an octave and didn't know it. Notes came out clean as air (well, probably not Rocky Mnt. air, but Houston air, and that's still breathable ^_^). Switched MP's to check if it was just that I was using a new MP, and, nope, same ease. And after one night of, oh, thirty minutes on the trumpet.

I personally thought this was pretty cool if not amazing (IMO), so I decided to try it some more the next week or two.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? I heard Sam Pilafian used this, but I don't have any details or anything really.

Also, how does a thinker MP effect the play of the horn? My Conn and AWI look about the same, the AWI a little deeper, but the main difference in how much thicker the AWI is.

Thanks for hearing my long piece of mind!

Tracy H.
Highschool Tubist

Follow Ups: