Re: Re: What is a good opener after intermission

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 14, 2001 at 12:27:09:

In Reply to: Re: What is a good opener after intermission posted by BD on November 14, 2001 at 11:46:30:

I'm with you. The audience is expecting something flashy, but I've always thought that recitals that started flashy set a standard hard to maintain for either the audience or the player.

As an audience member, I've always been most affected by a tune that completely destroys the stereotype of the instrument by revealing the musical and lyrical potential. A song like Danny Boy would do just that, but there are bunches of examples. But it doesn't have to be traditional like Danny Boy. I'd bet you'd get the same reaction to an unaccompanied rendition of, say, "Yesterday." Most folks of our generation will get all warm and fuzzy. And it gets points for style because it is a serious song, but because it's the Beatles you don't get blamed for being too serious.

Then, when you hit them with the flashy stuff, it will sound all the flashier, and they'll be in the mood to hear it.

To Sean: I also agree with the first fellow--I would not want to play anything on a recital that I didn't personally connect to. Trying to sell something that you don't believe in almost never works. It seems to me that the trick for selling it is finding a way to believe in it, and that's what you should be trying to teach yourself in attempting the Plog.

Rick "an experienced audience and salesman" Denney

Follow Ups: