Re: Re: bigger!! i must have bigger!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on November 15, 2001 at 13:12:34:

In Reply to: Re: bigger!! i must have bigger!!! posted by DC on November 15, 2001 at 08:01:16:

I have an old "Holton 7". Compared to both a Conn Helleburg and a Miraphone C9, The depth and throat parameters are indeed huge. While a Hellebug is oft described as a "funnel" shape, the Holton 7 inside IS a funnel; It's like a perfectly up-scaled french horn mouthpiece (although the outside looks like some kind'a pumpkin).

The rim I.D. isn't very great, though. Somewhere in the Bach 18 range, I think (I don't have it handy at the moment). I had a tough time measuring it with calipers, because the rim contour is sooo round- Even rounder than a 24AW. Where the rim becomes cup was anybody's guess. Backbore, I think, is just a straight-sided taper (not much of a taper at that).

Not much fun to play, at least on the horns I've tried it on. The sound was not any "bigger", just duller. I would be curious to try the Tuba they had in mind when they made this thing.

Just for refernce, I currently use a Heavyweight Helleburg (the R&S "can") and a Conn 2 or C-H 7B.

Mark "would rather project my sound than wallow in it" Mazak

Follow Ups: