Re: irked about parents

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. No.2 on November 17, 2001 at 20:34:27:

In Reply to: irked about parents posted by Julie on November 16, 2001 at 23:28:15:

Let me put you in the parents shoes. I told my daughters when they were very young that I would give them each $5,000 if they did not start smoking by thier 25th birthday. I was and still am not rich. I have cut back to one job. But it was worth it to me if they did not smoke. One is going to make it, the other did not. My boss gave me a very large bonus, and I use it to start paying the first. I gave her a choice, the money, a computer, or to upgrade from the student model flute she had. She selected the Flute and then told me that I did not owe her any more. She said that the fact that she did not smoke was the pay off.
Now I have two step daughters, the eldest is playing the celtic harp. She will graduate this year. Because of a medical screw up her mother came into a small amount of money, most of which went to savings to help pay for college. But we did buy for the daughter a very nice harp so that when she is away to college and she need to have a friend to talk to, she can talk to the harp. It will be there when we can't.
As a parent we do what we think is best, if we are good parents, hoping that when you are out on your own, you can stand tall on your own. That is our goal, but how we can get there is different for all of us.
Joe (father to 4, grandfather to 4) S. No.2

Follow Ups: