Re: college

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben on November 20, 2001 at 02:36:30:

In Reply to: college posted by me on November 19, 2001 at 22:25:57:

This is an issue that I can look back on as I am about to finish my undergrad. The most important thing to decide is whether or not a tuba performance major is worth your time. If you truly believe that playing the tuba for a living is something you want to do, then go for it. If you harbor any doubt about it, then maybe you should consider another direction.

If you love orchestral music, and performing with an orchestra above ALL ELSE in the world, then seek out an orckestral teacher who can give you a very orchestral education. Schools like Curtis, Juilliard, CCM, and Cleveland to name a very few, are specifcally set up to prepare you for orchestral jobs.

If you love band music, then a program with strong wind ensemble/band emphasis might be more appropriate for you. These schools might also be more appropriate if you are ever looking to teach music.

Each school is different, and for this reason I am greatly appreciative of the way my parents and tuba teachers helped my chose the right school for me. In discussions with my tuba teacher in high school (an orchestral pro), I narrowed down which schools would be best for me to apply to. Then, with the help of my parents, I took lessons with each of the tuba instructors at those school prior to applying. Besides getting in a lot of great lessons in a short span of time, it helped me decide which schools and teachers would best fit me.

And the end of my fourth year (I graduate this December) I can say that this method worked out for me, and I got the kind of education I didn't really know I needed back then, but I am so glad I have now. Not only do I feel that I have been handed the right tools to grow as a musician, but have been given the right tools to increase my appreciation for music. How I use those tools is for me to determine.

I chose to go to my university mostly because of the one lesson I had with my current teacher, which happened to be THE most eye opening, and EAR opening of all those lessons I took back before my senior year. Coupled with his strong reputation as a player, I felt secure in my choice, and am satified with my decision.

Trust you private lesson teacher, and do your own research about which schools turn out the students getting the jobs you want. Above all else, take a lesson with those you may want to study with.

Good luck,

Ben

If you looking for where I attend college and who I study with, look at my email address. I feel the process I used to get where I'm at is the important thing here, not where I ended up.

Follow Ups: