Re: Testing a Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 20, 2001 at 09:09:10:

In Reply to: Testing a Tuba posted by CC in my sights on November 20, 2001 at 06:52:42:

Once you've narrowed the choice to one model (I'm assuming you've done this by playing many different models and finally deciding that this particular model is the one that fits best), you should go someplace that has many of these particular tubas to choose from. If you go someplace and they only have one, that might be a problem. Obviously, call ahead and make an appointment and be sure that they have the stock and the time to help you properly.

Once you're there, I would run down a checklist. Grab as many examples of the horn in question as you can and start playing them to see if they feel different to you. Be aware that different horns respond differently to certain mouthpieces. Make sure that the mouthpiece you're using to try out the tuba is the best one for the tuba. Plugging your old favorite into a new horn may be comfortable for you but it may or may not work for that particular horn. Make sure you do some research with other folks who use the tuba you're contemplating and see what mouthpieces they use on that tuba. Also, ask the salesman what they would suggest. They should know their products well enough to suggest good mouthpiece choices. If one of the tubas you try jumps out at you from a sound standpoint, then check with the tuner and see if things are good there. Remember that mouthpieces and valve slide positions can have a large effect on intonation. Also, you will adjust over time to a given tuba. What might seem uncomfortable now may clear up later as you get used to the horn. Don't forget that the sound should be the primary consideration. Pretty much everything else can be worked around, within reason. If you buy a tuba that doesn't sound good to you, there is very little you can do to fix that later other than sell the horn and buy another.

When you've found the horn that sounds best to you and has workable intonation, then look at the rest of the package. Dead last on my list is what the horn looks like. If the horn is a scratch and dent special (like Brasswind often sells), all that means to you is that you get the horn cheaper but it still plays the same. Is the horn functional? Are there construction flaws like bad lacquer, broken solder joints, or bent valve linkage? Usually you won't see these kinds of things but you should definitely look. Remember that anything that needs to be fixed later will be money out of your pocket. Things like dents that have been taken out don't bother me one bit because I know that the horn will be damaged eventually anyway, it is only a matter of time.

Lastly, make sure that you are comfortable carrying around the horn, that you have a good case or gig bag, and that the price is something you can live with. Usually, this isn't much of a consideration when you've found the tuba that makes you feel the chill of excitement when you play it. Just remember that the tuba and you are going to have to live in the real world after you buy it.

Good luck and enjoy!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: