Re: Flight Case with Horn is Gigbag

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on November 21, 2001 at 10:52:13:

In Reply to: Flight Case with Horn is Gigbag posted by Tom B. on November 20, 2001 at 17:28:01:

I had the same problem Years ago when I was first starting to fly with my horn. I called up Humes and Berg and had them make one of their fiberboard cases oversize, to fit my Mirafone in the Reunion Blues bag with some extra room all around.
When I got the case I beefed it up with 1/2" plywood in a few spots, added a generous amount of foam padding, and attached wheels and handles so it would be easy to haul through airports. Toward the end of a tour, dirty laundry came in handy for padding, too!
It wasn't pretty, but it protected the horn just fine and didn't cost a huge amount of money.
At the time (late 80's / early 90's), the airlines didn't charge me extra. I don't know how it would be now.
The concept works great. You can use the whole rig for air travel. Then when you get to the destination you can leave the shell in the hotel room and use just the gig bag for local tranport. I wonder why some manufacturer hasn't started offering such a thing?
Don't have Humes and Berg's number handy, but they're located in East Chicago, Indiana (219 area code).

Follow Ups: