Re: Re: Hodie, Vaughan Willaims

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ola on November 22, 2001 at 11:31:57:

In Reply to: Re: Hodie, Vaughan Willaims posted by Rick Denney on November 20, 2001 at 11:35:10:

I can't remember writing anything about 'British Tradition', it's just that there are colour differences in the different pitched instruments that makes a lot of difference to the sound of the brass section. The way I see it, is that a CC tuba (generally) makes a big, fat sound that althogh very fun to produce and for other tuba players to listen to, but is still not always preferrable. Even if the one tubist in the audience who came for the sole purpose of listening to you said it was marvellous. Well enough, for perhaps most of the repertoire it would be my first choice as well, but sometimes one would want a different colour, a different effect. Which is where other instruments come in handy, F, EEb and indeed BBb also. Each for its own repertoire. And with regards to your statement about balance, it's not particularly more difficult playing loud on F or even EEb tubas than it is on a CC. But the difference in tone colour is so different that it may be percieved quieter to the performer if he/she is not used to the sound.

*sigh*

Ola

Follow Ups: