Re: Re: Marzan/Willson euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on November 23, 2001 at 18:10:45:

In Reply to: Re: Marzan/Willson euphonium posted by UPDATE on November 23, 2001 at 17:20:24:

I don’t who you are, but your insight must be less than complete, not to speak of UPDATED.

None of the 4 valve compensating models by Yamaha, Hirsbrunner, Courtois, Meiln, Willson, Besson, or Miraphone (mentioned in order of decreasing quality) are fully compensating.

To extend the downwards range of the non-comp 3 valve euph the 4-valve comp system has been added. By its very nature it works by converting the 3 valve non-comp euph into a very small-bore non-comp three valve F tuba.

Which has the inherited shortcommings of a too short combined sum of tubelength, when attempts are made to play the fingerings 134 and 1234 in tune.

Some makers like Hirsbrunner, Besson, and Miraphone offer (or have offered) factory made options of different triggering system working on valve or main tuning slides.

My YEP641 has been equipped with a third-party main tuning slide trigger, because I needed perfect low C’s and B naturals.

My statements are true, even if they might not be generally recognised as such ones. Yet skilled readers might be able do deduct some of my personal biases from this text.

Only I am fully convinced, that the claim "SO STOP ARGUING ABOUT THE COMPENSATION! " must come out of a mind so smally bored, that it hardly belongs in a forum for serious discussions about low brasses. Which by definition are wide bored.

Klaus

Follow Ups: