Re: Tuba for College

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on November 24, 2001 at 20:09:34:

In Reply to: Tuba for College posted by Tim on November 24, 2001 at 00:15:17:

Tim (and Ryan)

Since you asked, I STRONGLY encourage you NOT to wait til you get to school to shop a horn, and (to my mind) the best bet for your first CC is a Mirafone 186 5U, but if you "have" to have bigger, get a 188-5U. I can't imagine a teacher worth taking from that will give you griefas a new freshman if you show up with a Mirafone, especially if you can play it! Plus if you get a tuba now, you'll have a good familiarity with it by the time you get to campus ... which doesn't hurt at all since as soon as you show up you'll have to be on your mark during auditions to play in the best ensembles.
IMO the Getzen is not as good an all-around horn as the 186 or even the 188, where you might have to lay back some in quintet or light works with a 188 that is still far easier (and more productive) than trying to make the G50 work in large settings.
David Fedderly at Baltimore Brass has some used ones (as posted by Steve Inman.)
If you want brand new there are five to chose from over at Tony Clement's LowBrassWerks (three 186's, one goldbrass 188 and one brass 188)
Other merchants have them or can get them too, but I have done business with Mr. Fedderly and Mr. Clements and recommend them both highly.
Tuba-istically,

Dale Phelps,
Saratoga (CA) Symphony

Follow Ups: