Repair Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on November 24, 2001 at 21:02:52:

I took my horn into a local music store with the intent of looking at hard cases, but couldn't keep myself from paying a visit to my buddies in the repair shop.

They were interested in seeing the horn, so I got it out to show them. They immediately commented on how I needed to have the patches of raw brass fixed. I continued by saying that I didn't know that you could "spot silver plate." They said that it could be resilvered, but that I would have to have the entire horn replated at a cost of $2975. Not exactly what I had in mind. I didn't hesitate to ask about a more economical way to "fix" my raw brass "problem." They said that I needed to have it covered up otherwise it would continue to corrode. That is when they began talking about polishing out the raw brass areas and shooting some spray laquer (sp?) on to them to protect it.

My questions are...

Is this a good idea?
Will it change the way the horn plays?
Will it look like **** or will it look nice?
Do I really need to have this "fixed" in the first place?

Also, should I have them do a chem clean for about $100, or is this unnecessary? Is it something I should attempt myself (without chemicals, of course) say in the bathtub?

Thanks,

Tom

Follow Ups: