Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on November 26, 2001 at 01:44:54:

In Reply to: Gross injustices posted by College Professor on November 25, 2001 at 19:48:02:

One semester after I was accepted as a Bachelor of Music Candidate at my alma mater,
the infinitely-wise old putz called "The Department Chair" cut loose the adjunct tuba prof. When I asked why, I was told "not enough enrollment" (this from a School of Music that paid its adjuncts per diem.) The following spring when I was asked to audition for a scholarship I thought "what for, so I can take from the trombone prof?" I told themI had nothing prepared and changed my major.
The fall before baccalaureate I discovered that (for sheer pleasure and learning enjoyment) I had completed the core and all of the Music Ed undergrad courses offered,
so I petitioned for the minor in Music Ed. It was denied with no explanation, so I went to the Departments Music Ed advisor to ask why. I decided to forget about it altogether and not bring in the ombudsman to protest when that woman told me "your major is not a credentialing program so you cannot minor in Music Education." I had come to believe "who wants to work with these kind of people?"
The only real injustice I think is when students are brought (by the system) to believe that programs of UNDERgrad studies define one's future work, instead of prepping one for the focus of grad school and learning which leads to self-aware career choice. The difference? Going to school so you can get a job is like going to Paris so you can stay in a hotel, there's a little more than just that to be gained through the experience. Thank-goodness I could eventually see that without having all my emotional eggs in one (employment-focussed) basket.

Follow Ups: