Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on November 26, 2001 at 11:16:35:

In Reply to: Gross injustices posted by College Professor on November 25, 2001 at 19:48:02:

There were things about college that I would have changed and would still. I got a degree in Music Education in undergrad. and Tuba Performance in grad.

Nowhere in the undergraduate or graduate programs was I taught about marching band, fundraising (business classes), instrument repair, marketing, scheduling, how to write a good letter with good grammar and punctuation (remember creative writing?) or time management among many topics that would have been useful.

Still, I would not have changed the years I did go to school. I have wonderful friends from those years. I met the girl of my dreams, fell madly in love, and am still married to her after 29 years. I learned a great deal about the craft of being a musician, and learned how to be a better tuba player as well.

When the topic of gross injustices comes up, the good far outweighs the bad when I think of the college years. College, to me, was just a time to start thinking about what you wanted to do with the rest of your life. It let's you further the education that was started in high school and, hopefully, will continue the rest of your life.

The biggest injustice is what the class schedule does to a person who works the rest of his/her life. I, too, complained when a class started before 9 a.m. and when I had more than 4 classes in a single day or even when I had classes on Friday...perish the thought!!! So what do I do now? I work several hours each and every day including Saturdays, I practice a couple of hours each day, I spend a little time with my daughter (not near enough!), and I spend a little time with my wife. I bought a house, have 3 car loans, an instrument loan, a college loan (son who doesn't get all his tuition paid via scholarship or my savings) and have to pay for all of the stuff somehow.

So what's the biggest injustice here? Going to college or the many years after?

College really is grossly unfair - I just wish I had spent a few more years there just to make sure!!!!!!!!

Follow Ups: