Re: Re: Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on November 26, 2001 at 14:29:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Gross injustices posted by umm... on November 26, 2001 at 12:58:44:

No, the non-music majors call that leisure time.

Think about it. After practicing for a minimum of three hours a day on the primary instrument, there is also secondary practice for things like brass or woodwind techniques classes, group keyboard classes, ear training computer labs, brass quintet rehearsal (rarely offered as class credit), music listening for the Music History drop-the-needle test, rehearsal on the recital you're helping out on, performance attendance requirements in the evenings, and oh yeah, don't forget to eat. Of course the dorm cafeteria closed LONG before you got back to that end of the campus, so you get a healthy MacMeal.

Now that all of your music stuff is over for the day, you can go home and read your three chapters of US history, or poli-sci, or write your weekly paper for English Comp. Gotta schedule that Botany lab in there somewhere and participate in a Psych experiment, too. And guess what? Those non-music instructors don't have a CLUE as to what your schedule is like. Deadlines are deadlines, and if you want to keep your GPA for your MUSIC scholarship, you get to pull all-nighters to cram everything in. Want to go have a beer with your buddies? Forget it, you've got a sight-singing quiz at 8:30 in the morning.

I never met a non-music major in college that, upon seeing or hearing the schedule demands, didn't ask me if I was nuts.
SD

Follow Ups: