Re: Re: Gross injustices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by E. Oliver on November 26, 2001 at 23:39:47:

In Reply to: Re: Gross injustices posted by Gray Bach on November 26, 2001 at 17:26:21:

while I can understand your frustration, I do have this to say:

1. It is known that many professors teach at a college (manybe not so much in the music department) for the visibility of their works, so teaching is secondary to them, if they even care. (not the majority, but it happens)
2. The college world is not perfect, is is basically a microcosm of the real world.
3. I would challenge you to go to Yale and receive your Ph.D. in Music Theory (to the point where one knows everything about nothing) and not be snotty to some kid who thinks your whole goal in life is to cater to his needs.
4. At most colleges, the general student body feels that the music students act "stuck up" etc.., and, I have noted, that to an outsider, they usually appear to. These students who pass judgement rely only on the fact the music majors often stay in groups, and they therefore tihnk that they are exclusive, this is their [the outsider] fault for not investigating before accusing, but, as we all know, that happens all the time. And, furthermore, I see no harm in a healthy sense of superiority. After all, if professors have endured what the posters of the BBS have described as some sort of Hell Hole long enough to get terminal degrees, maybe they are superior, or they just like to think so.

Having said this, I believe that your situation was more of a confluence of situations. There were probably big problems elsewhere in the school in order to casue thisd tension in the faculty. I feel for you loss of education and I pray that you are not as bitter as you seem. I will agree that at many schools music major-dom is less about music than about other things, but... it is the system for better or for worse.

eric

Follow Ups: