Re: off topic - help me select a trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on November 27, 2001 at 02:52:04:

In Reply to: off topic - help me select a trombone posted by Kenneth Sloan on November 27, 2001 at 01:43:00:

To keep this thread tuba relevant it should suffice to realise, that there is a lot of doubling happening across the cylindrical/conical divide.

Coming mostly from the straight side into the conical area I must say, that my choice of trombones somehow has pointed towards the later entering of euph and tubas.

There is a great contrast in sound, but the playing feel is very much the same.

That said I can reveal that my favourite trombones, alto, tenor, and bass, are from Conn (36H), and King (2B+ and 7B). For students I have bought King 3B. (I also have trombones from Bach, Sovereign, Hawkes, and Jupiter)

The King and Conn all have some common qualities:

they are extremely easy to play lip trills on

they are extremely easy to play smooth legatos on.

One could say, that lip trills are no big deal in real life music. True! But easy lip trills for me happen to reveal a lot about an instrument.

If the overtone components of the sound together with the intonation do not slot well, then the trills just end as fastly oscillating mudd. (That is why the Jupiter euph is very inferior to the Weril ditto. And on a higher level: the Willson euph looses out to the Yamaha and Hirsbrunner).

If the overtone components of the sound together with the intonation do slot too well, then the blood does not pour out of my lips. But they do feel so hurt, that I would not have been surprised, if blood had drenched my beard. Stradivarius trombones from Vincent Bach have this slotting. They are great, and marvellous playing has been done on them by a lot of trombonists. Only they are too stiff in their feel. For me, that is.

Klaus

Follow Ups: