Re: price/protection/convenience/nerdiness

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 27, 2001 at 11:18:51:

In Reply to: price/protection/convenience/nerdiness posted by js on November 26, 2001 at 23:00:01:

I carry my Yamaha 621 around in the hard case that came with it. It would be about as convenient as a gig bag if it had shoulder straps. But that Yamaha case is light and close-fitting, such that it is no great burden on its own. And it's a small tuba with a small case. It has wheels, but the overall package is light enough to carry by the handle on the many occasions when the wheels can't be used.

But that Yamaha in its case weighs less than the York Master by itself, let alone in a case. The York Master weighs about 30 pounds. When I shipped it from Oregon, I did so in a Walt Johnson case, and the case weighs about 40 pounds empty. I lugged that case down Chuck's front steps, with the tuba in it, and I hope I never have to do that again. If I could put it in a case that was as easy to lug around as the case for the Yamaha, I'd do it.

I built a hard case for my Miraphone many years ago. It's made from a hardwood frame with a plywood skin--similar to the $500 cases out there but better made. It's on wheels--etc. But I stopped using it because putting in a car required lifting in ways that were killing my back. Now, I use it only when I don't have control over the tuba while it's in its case.

It seems to me a horn gets dented because its owner isn't paying attention. I treat my bagged tubas as if they were uncased, and they don't get dents while in the case. They are at much greater risk in the rehearsal space, where there are others without similar regard. Carrying this thing in the gig bag is no mean feat--I shudder to think what hauling it around in a heavy, hard case would take. I may have finished an Ironman, but I'm not fit enough to haul a heavy 5/4 tuba around in a hard case.

Rick "who thinks Joe would like a CC better if he wasn't wiped out from carrying it" Denney

p.s. Joe, did you get my voice mail?

Follow Ups: