Re: Re: off topic - help me select a trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by yeah.... on November 27, 2001 at 21:35:01:

In Reply to: Re: off topic - help me select a trombone posted by Austin H. on November 27, 2001 at 17:48:49:

thayer valves are great things, aren't they? I agree that on the horn being purchased, the thayer valve is definately an option, but I believe the brands discussed should not be. Shires and Edwards trombones are indeed custom and superior instruments, and that, in my estimation, puts the a little out of reach for a 15 year old who hasn't had a pro horn yet. I haven't personally played a Shires, but the Edwards is a BIG horn. Mr. Ted Wier at Volkweins tells me the only complaint he has EVER heard about one of them, with all the variations there are, is that the customer just cannot play them. These are people who have spent years playing on larger horns like Bach 42B's and Conn88H's and just can't get enough air through the Edwards to be successful with their new ($3670 for a standard bass trombone) horn. Not to say that the 15 year-old in question won't be successful, I just do not the logic in switching from a small straight tenor to a grand monster of a horn.
And most definately there is NOTHING wrong with a Conn88H, and to a lesser degree a Bach42 (IMHO). The Conn88H is a Lexus in the trombone world. Why go all the way out on a Bentley when one has more than enough to get the job done already? The CL2000 certainly is an EXCELLENT valve in itself, perhaps better than the Thayer valve, but I have seen a few 88H's with Thayer valves...and if it's good enough for Emory Remington and Lewis Van Haney, then it is good enough for me!

My two cents IMHO (from someone who uses a stripped 88H with a standard, closed-wrap valve and look at what it has gotten him...)

Follow Ups: