Re: does marching band messup your sound?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on November 03, 2002 at 22:55:33:

In Reply to: does marching band messup your sound? posted by James Tony Rivera on November 03, 2002 at 20:16:56:

Personally, I think way too much is made on this subject while missing an important point.

First, is there a physical difference between concert/sit down playing and marching/standing up/movement playing....yes, there is no doubt. But, I feel that just as much damage can be done practicing sitting in a chair incorrectly as learning to march incorrectly. Whether you are standing up or sitting down, posture for breathing and many other considerations is very important to your performance.

Second, is moving around while playing hurt you overall...it can. How your embouchure is placed on the mouthpiece and how it compensates for the movement is a concern. Something I try to teach for students of mine in marching bands is to keep the embouchure and the mouthpiece to always move as one. But this is not nearly enough....leading to...

Third, no matter what type of playing you do, go for air flow not air pressure. Learning how to move the air in a warm fashion is what I stress no matter what you play in. And to not push the air to make yourself play louder. This does counter what I have heard from a lot of Drum Corps guys. But I feel sound(and I feel this is more and more true with judges of marching bands)is the most important characteristic of performance. I also feel the typical "marching band" sound is fading to the more "symphonic" sound.

Fourth, there is a reason why you are taught to "roll" your feet. Work on keeping your head still as you move. Again, this stresses the second point again.

Fifth, don't fall into the trap of trying to "blast" versus truly playing loud. This goes for concert as well as marching. Again, see my third point. Forte is not a harsh dynamic. Sound is still everything!

Sixth, pay lots of attention to your articulations in combination with your airflow. Attacks still count, no thunder tonguing!

Now, to finally answer your question...yes, any kind of movement whether in your chair or on a gridiron CAN hurt your playing as much as anything practiced incorrectly. But you can make it well with proper notice and smart thinking.

But here's the point I think many miss.....
Marching Band is something that can be a very rewarding social and life experience. Many of us "professional", "amatuer" or "freelancers" or whatevers have marched and made it through. Some of us with better experiences than others as in all things. I recommend being in a marching band as long as it is something you want to do. If you want to do it and you care about how you play, then you can make a great thing! If you don't, then there are certainly other things. Please choose what is right for you and don't worry so much about all this "correct playing" stuff. Get the experience you desire and practice lots.

I wish you all the luck...

Mark

Follow Ups: